Wednesday, January 23, 2008

what's the deal with mormonism

I've noticed recently a lot of writing in the blogsphere about Mormonism. Perhaps it's because of Mitt Romney. I don't know. But I see some ignorance on the topic and then some wrong pronouncements built on that ignorance so I thought I would join in.

Pulpit Magazine provides us this excerpt of an interview between Joel Osteen and Chris Wallace.
WALLACE: And what about Mitt Romney? And I’ve got to ask you the question, because it is a question whether it should be or not in this campaign, is a Mormon a true Christian?

OSTEEN: Well, in my mind they are. Mitt Romney has said that he believes in Christ as his savior, and that’s what I believe, so, you know, I’m not the one to judge the little details of it. So I believe they are.

And so, you know, Mitt Romney seems like a man of character and integrity to me, and I don’t think he would — anything would stop me from voting for him if that’s what I felt like.

WALLACE: So, for instance, when people start talking about Joseph Smith, the founder of the church, and the golden tablets in upstate New York, and God assumes the shape of a man, do you not get hung up in those theological issues?

OSTEEN: I probably don’t get hung up in them because I haven’t really studied them or thought about them. And you know, I just try to let God be the judge of that. I mean, I don’t know.

I certainly can’t say that I agree with everything that I’ve heard about it, but from what I’ve heard from Mitt, when he says that Christ is his savior, to me that’s a common bond.

Ouch - not well done on the part of Osteen. The full transcript is here or can be seen on YouTube here.

I am not making any statement here regarding Romney's candidacy. I simply think it inconsistent to be both a faithful, practicing Mormon and a faithful, practicing Christian. If this is something you wish to investigate, Pulpit Magazine references this and this useful link. I like this piece by World Religions Index in contrast with Biblical Christianity.

Bottom line, either Romney doesn't know what he means when he says as a Mormon the words that he "believes in Christ as his savior" or he is really not a Mormon or he knows what he means, he is a Mormom, and he is deceiving folks like Osteen.

As for Osteen himself, it is disappointing that he couldn't take a small number of minutes from his busy schedule to find out that Mormanism believes the following about Jesus:
  • By obedience and devotion He attained to the pinnacle of intelligence which ranked him as a God, even in his preexistent state (McConkie, MD, p. 192)
  • Jesus Christ was the executive in the work of creation, aided by Michael (or Adam), Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Peter, James, John, Joseph Smith, and others (McConkie, MD, p. 169)
  • He was born of the virgin Mary. Elohim is literally the Father of the Spirit and of Jesus Christ, and also of the body (Talmage, DC, p. 466).
  • He is essentially greater than all others, by reason of His unique status in the flesh as the offspring of a mortal mother and an immortal, or resurrected and glorified Father.He died on the cross, rose again, and is coming again in power and glory to set up his kingdom on earth (Talmage, DC, p. 472)
Then Osteen could make a statement about his faith in Christ in contrast to that. He is at best seemingly intentionally ignorant or worse, deceptive. I cannot say which but it's not positive either way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rick,
Why are you so hard on Osteen when you give guys like Pagitt a free ride?

ricki said...

no-blog (we are no longer on a first name basis) - did you not notice that I linked to several posts where I was critical about Pagitt.

And with both Pagitt and Osteen, I tried to focus on some specific statement or issue.

Tell me you were just giving me a hard time.

:-)

reftagger